I was pleasantly surprised on Thursday to receive a nomination for the Liebster Award by Melissa Mitchell. This award has been floating around for a while now in various forms and is a great way to gain an insight into the minds of your fellow writers, readers and bloggers.
The guidelines are fairly simple:
1. Link and thank the person who nominated you.
2. Answer the questions they asked you.
3. Pick eleven bloggers with less than 200 (the rules vary on this amount, different versions say anywhere from 200-3,000) followers to nominate them.
4. Ask them eleven questions.
5. Let them know by commenting on one of their posts.
I’m going to mix it up a bit, just because I can and add some bonus answers to the mix.
First though, the eleven questions, thanks to Melissa.
1. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
When I first started this blog I was under the naive impression that I’d be able to stick to one topic and that I’d write frequently enough that I could post updates on my progress a few times a week. Unfortunately, life intervened. So when it was first coined, the titel of my blog was representative of my publishing journey from the basics to publication, just as writing utensils have evolved from carvings to ink and papyrus to computers. Also, I really love ancient history so that played a part in the naming too. :)
2. What was your first ever blog post about?
My first ever blog post was a poetic introduction to my journey as a writer. You can read it here if you’re interested.
3. Where is your favourite place to write?
Hmm, this one is tricky. Basically anywhere I can see trees. Without having trees in direct line of sight, my brain can’t function. Weird but true. That said, sitting at home in front of the fire with a view to the bush beyond the window is pretty amazing.
4. If you could go anywhere right now, where would you go?
Anywhere? In the present day, Italy. Assuming time travel was possible, England during the Renaissance.
5. Do you have a favourite author?
Yes. Phillipa Gregory and Patrick Rothfuss both make the list. Phillipa because she introduced me to historical fiction in all its glittery brilliance and Patrick because his writing is fresh and his characters engaging. Honourable mentions go to Elspeth Cooper and George R.R. Martin.
6. What have you been doing today?
Well, I’d like to say I’ve been super productive but that would be a lie. I have however collated all the paperwork I need for my exchange to the University of Edinburgh next year, helped edit a friend’s essay, written two blog posts, tweeted some and made coffee. My productivity will improve, I promise.
7. What was the last thing you wrote about?
I wrote a blog post but before that, the impact of the Persian Wars on the rise of Athens in the fifth century BCE.
8.Would you rather live in a grand castle or a cosy cottage?
Don’t make me choose! Preferably a grand castle with a cosy cottage tucked away somewhere on the estate as a retreat. :)
9. What was the first story you remember writing?
The first story I remember writing was about a horse liberating itself from abusive owners. It was a project for book week in prep (age 5ish) and our older buddies were supposed to help us with. I wrote thw hole thing and made my buddy draw pictures of horses. I’m not sure what she thought of me after that…
10. Do you have favourite letters of the alphabet?
I have ones I like drawing more than others: A, E and G are fun.
11. What is your biggest aspiration?
To be happy. And also to be published, to be employed to do something that I love, to convince someone to pay me to create languages. That would be pretty cool.
-Bonus Questions (taken form the questions my nominator was asked)
What was the last book you read?
The Storyteller’s Daughter by Cameron Dokey. A retelling of the Scheherazade tale.
If you could have an exotic animal as a pet, what would it be?
A tiger. Hands down.
My nominees are:
If you’re wondering how I chose you, you’re either someone I follow or someone that follows me. Or both! :D
Here are your questions.
1. Why do you write what you write?
2. Where would be your dream place for a holiday?
3. What is your first language and how many other languages do you speak?
4. What is your favourite name?
5. Cats or dogs?
6. Who or what inspires your writing?
7. Who has the biggest influence on your style?
8. If money was no issue, what would your dream job be?
9. Is there one classic book that everyone loves but you secretly (or not so secretly) can’t stand?
10. Who is your favourite character from your own works and why?
11. The Doctor arrives at your door step in need of a companion. You have all of time and space to choose from. Where would you go and why?
Please don;t forget to link back to me if you choose to participate, I’m curious to see your answers. Best of luck! :D
In other news, I’ve started a tumblr which you can check out and for the first few weeks I’m doing a follow for follow scheme. :)