So a few weeks have passed since the beginning of ROW80 although I’ve kind of lost track of how many exactly. As for my goals, they are progressing as predicted. The ones I knew I’d be able to meet, I’ve met and the ones I knew I’d struggle with I’ve so far ignored. Which is potentially an issue but not a huge one.
Edit Queen of Hearts
I’ve managed to edit and rewrite the first three chapters according to the feedback provided by my betas. This feedback has helped so much because it has allowed me to pinpoint the areas that I consistently fall down on and so I can target my energies. I’ve been experimenting with changing scene POV where I can, just to break it up a bit because originally, it was all in Kara’s POV and even I was getting sick of that. I also did a very exciting thing – I cut a scene that I liked but which did absolutely nothing for character or plot. I think the reason its stayed in there so long is because it was the initial opening scene and pretty much the evolution of the first thing I ever wrote for Queen of Hearts. But now it is where it belongs, in the scrap heap.
I’ve come up with a few more ideas for short stories and have been considering what I want to work on for NaNoWriMo. At this stage, I don’t think I’ll be starting anything new. Instead, I’ll be revamping or finishing one of my previous works, just because I already have those fermenting in my mind.
Second blog post this week. Goal – scored!
While I haven’t done any work on my own language, I met up with a friend on Monday who wanted help creating a language for his world. It was actually a lot more fun brainstorming and creating with someone else and I’m pretty proud of what we achieved in about five or so hours. He also gave me some really good advice for characters in Queen of Hearts so overall, a very productive day. 🙂