I met up with a friend last week and we were talking about goals and wishing and hoping. I’m the first to admit that I fall easily into the trap of despair. I think I don’t know what I want or if I do, I dream about it a lot without acting on that want. During our conversation, he posed a question: “What are you doing about it?”
It’s all very well saying “I want to be an author” or “I want to work in x field” but what are you doing about it?
And this question got me to thinking, about what I actually want to achieve and how I should go about doing it. I’ve reached the stage where talking and dreaming and thinking is not going to get me much further. It is time for action, time to do.
There are three things I want:
- To be an author
- To be able to communicate in at least four languages
- To have a job which allows me to travel
So what am I doing about it?
- Writing. And trying to write more. And making writing a regular priority. And networking. And writing some more.
- Choosing three languages to focus on (French, Swedish and Spanish). Immersing myself in them. Practicing them in any way I can, across a variety of media. Setting aside time each day to work on them. Jag kan göra det. C’est possible et je réussirai. Sí. 😀
- Currently, I have a B.A. which really qualifies me for diddly-squat. I’m looking into what to study further now. At the moment, I am most drawn towards doing the CERTA which is the Cambridge accredited qualification for Teaching English as Foreign Language. Linguistics is, and will always be, my true love, but I need something to travel with. There are so many places I have yet to see and I’ve never wanted to be confined to an office job. It’s something I’ve known since I was about five.
Do you know what you want? Do you have goals? And most importantly, what are you doing about them?
(All gifs from GIPHY)